We are continuing our blog series, “Healthier, Happier You in 2018” with the topic of elimination. Elimination may conjure up thoughts of resolutions such as “no sugar”, “no soda”, or just a bunch of “no’s”. Promise, these eliminations are not like that. On the other hand, some of the eliminations may, at first, seem contrary to popular belief. We must recognize when these activities are excessive, it is possible for them to impair one’s health.
Edmund Burke once said, “My good friends, while I do most earnestly recommend you take care of your health and safety, as things most precious to us, I would not have the care degenerate into and effeminate and over-curious attention which is always disgraceful to a man’s self, and often troublesome to others.”
With Burke’s words in mind, here are a few of the items listed in the article, “12 Things You Need to Give Up” to get us underway on eliminating excessiveness detriments to our health:
- No more Excessive Exercise…excessive exercise can cause damage and lead to serious exhaustion.
- No more Yo-Yo dieting…our bodies take a beating when we yo-yo diet
- No more Food Shaming…healthy eating should not be a competition
- No more adding unnecessary stress…daily life has enough stress
- No more beating up on ourselves…Take time instead to compliment yourself and focus on the positives
- No more grumbling…adopt an attitude of gratitude. Studies show an attitude of gratitude is good our health.
A Hindu proverb shares, “Even nectar is poison if taken to excess.” Therefore, as we voyage together towards a “Healthier, Happier You in 2018” take a moment this week contemplate the list. If you see yourself in any of the items… ceremoniously eliminate them.
Reference: 12 Things You Need to Give Up in 2018 to Be Healthy (and Happy).
Accessed on: December 27, 2017.